The Valley Lighthouse’s Workforce Training and Life Skills Programs
are designed to train disadvantaged youth and adults in
basic Life Skills, to prepare youth and unskilled adults for
entry into the labor force and to provide educational and
job training to economically disadvantaged and other
individuals facing serious barriers to employment.
Adult and youth programs:
· Provide for an education for employment program
to offer individualized instruction to prepare students to
meet State and local general education diploma and basic
education competency requirements.
· Provide for a pre-employment assessment and skills
training program for youth aged 14 through 21, with priority
given to those who do not meet established academic
achievement levels and who plan to enter the full-time
labor market upon leaving school. (see JOBS)
· Provide for internships and/or an entry employment
experience program for youth who meet certain requirements.
· Provide for a school-to-work transition assistance
program for high school seniors with an economic
disadvantage and dropouts.
· Provide internships as part of the training where applicable.
· Provide retraining for displaced adult workers
· Provide Life Skills training (see LIFE SKILLS)
· Vehicle Repair /Bodywork
· Forklift Operation
· Commercial Cooking
· Food Service Management and Serving
· Caring for children
· Sewing, Ironing and Clothes Care
· Finances / Banking / Credit
· Computer Skills
· Professional Etiquette / Manners
· Car Care
· Time Management
· Coping with Failure and Celebrating Success
· Urban Survival Skills
· How to Apply for a Job
· Basic First Aid and What to do when you are sick